BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Take a Trip... Dosha

Somewhere between high school and moving to Savannah I lost my wings. This social butterfly defied evolution and turned back into a caterpillar. But just because I don't know how to make friends or not look completely awkward in public, I still manage to get my butt into a few bar stools here and there. A new bar stool farm opened up on Broughton a few months ago, and I finally got to give Dosha a test drive this weekend.

One day I'll have a real camera and not have to use phonephotos...

Driving by after work, I had been intrigued more than once by the black lights, funky paint, laser lights, and the occasional crowd. I added it to my "I Wanna Go There" list, which is pretty much the easiest way to make sure I don't go to a place for a long long time. But fate intervened last night when an old friend chose it as the location of our much needed meet-up. I got there first and as usual, though I'm not sure if its more out of necessity or habit, I headed straight for the ladies room. I waited for a while outside of the women's room until the dude inside finally vacated it and let me in to wipe his piss off the seat. Then I got to do my business. I think some shades of pink shouldn't exist. Like the pink paint on those bathroom walls, yet somehow this place pulled it off. Anyways, then I waited at the bar with my Stella Artois taking in my surroundings and waiting for my bus-riding friend to finally show up. One thing I think a lot of bars around here lack is adequate bar space, but they've got that covered. I didn't stay late enough into the night to find out if the bartenders were adequate to cover the space, but who cares when you can walk in off the street with a drink from the bar you just left.




What I think the place really has going for it is psychedelic appeal. Where else in Savannah can you sip (chug) a beer (LIT) next to giant neon octopus tentacles? Or set your vodka-cranberry (Jägerbomb) on a color-changing glow table? They also have a decent-sized dance floor, but if they keep letting imitation Daniel Powter cry on his guitar over the mic, there's not much point in having one.




The light tables really sold me. Most of them change colors, and some of them even change with the music. And I've always been a sucker for black lights, hence my highlighter party-favors at almost every party I've ever thrown. So sue me for taking the bait, but I'd sit in there by myself (even sober) just to watch the lights.




Overall, I like it. I'll go back. With a little more time, Dosha has the potential to break into a Savannah classic: funky and unique, with just a slight twinge of what-the-hell. It was almost exactly what I was expecting from my after-work drive-bys, I just hope they realize that visuals can't make up for crappy music.






Blast From the Past

Roommate art
Going away party 2009


No comments: